[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Tue Jun 5 08:07:33 CEST 2001

On Monday, June 04, 2001 10:41 AM Shren wrote:

> In second edition, min/maxing was number shuffling to abuse stat
> cutoffs.  In third edition, it can be quite necessary to wade
> through the complexity of the system and actually make the character
> you want to make.

I'll buy that.  I would submit that min/maxing was a challenge that
many people took on in older versions of D&D because the system was
something of a mess.  Now the system is (IMO) a bit cleaner, and it's
easier for everybody to min/max.  WEEE!

This doesn't bode well for any online fantasy game that doesn't want
to show its numbers to players.  Even the grandfather of fantasy
gaming has become more about numbers, less about characters.

Something to keep in mind when you make the decision whether or not to
show the "numbers behind the magic" in your game.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org