[MUD-Dev] Chatting in MMPORPGs

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Jul 30 12:44:52 CEST 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Eli Stevens wrote:
> [...]

On a similar note;

I know that much research has gone into mapping filters onto sound
depending on its poition to mimic real-life effects inside a virtual
world. I once saw a research setup, where you blindfolded would
'shoot at the sound' and a headmounted directional sensor would
detect and modify the 3D sound sources to mimic the filter our
headshape and earshape make to the sound depending on direction, so
it could be 'rendered' by a simple headset.

The reseachsetup worked extremely convincing, but i do not know if
it has found its way into gaming?

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|