[MUD-Dev] Something in the water

Hulbert Hulbert
Mon Jul 30 10:08:34 CEST 2001

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> I *do* like it. It's a neat outside the box idea. Unfortunately,
> it predicates on the assumption that you can define RP by defining
> what is NOT RP, which is obviously a much larger volume of
> data. It also rewards non-RPers for RP simply because they aren't
> social. There are a whole slew of flaws in this, I think.

I sure there are.  I come up with these things off teh top of my
head, and I am not a professional programmer, game developer or
anything related.  I am a complete hobbyist.  But I think the idea
could work.  Perhaps not as simply as it was stated, but as a way to
curb the abuses that some other systems are prone to.  For example,
add the ability to provide bonuses on a per-case basis for good RP
that an admin sees, stir in the ability to flag a conversation so
that it gets logged for the admins to look at if you think it was
good RP, and mix well.  Still not a pure mechanical RP reward
system, but it looks good for my tastes.

Lee