[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #285 - 32 msgs

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Fri Jan 26 12:20:18 CET 2001

From: "Jake Song" <jake at ncinteractive.com>

> There are a few something good in Lineage not in UO :) For example
> global chat. In UO you should use another program like IRC to chat
> with all ppl in the shard, don't you?

Not any more.  UO has a pretty decent built-in IRC chat thing now.  If
you could iterface with it via a standard IRC client, it would be even
better.

> I guess you played Lineage long time ago when there were only 3
> classes. Now it has 4 classes. :)

lol.  I stand corrected.

> However this system makes users stay more online which means
> more money to the company. :)

Ahhh... that would be the exact opposite goal of a US game. :P

> I know that in UO you can customize your appearance. But in my
> opinion, it's not enough to differentiate your character from others
> in a glance. Details are different but it looks almost same in
> overall, isn't it?

Right, the attitude among players there is "We want MORE of this
stuff!" - rather than "This isn't enough, so blow it off altogether."
Being able to customize your appearance is outrageously important.  My
feeling there is that a little bit *is* better than nothing.

> I think that's the cultural difference between Korean and
> American(or maybe the rest of world?). In above case most male
> Koreans continue to play the game until he gets enough power to
> overcome the situation.

Not so much a cultural difference on our part - we both camped our way
to level 36 or so in EQ, for example.  Rather, we were disappointed
then that "waiting for the game to get better" didn't pay off - it
never got better - it was just more of the same, and more "waiting for
the game to get better".  So, our tolerance (personally, not
culturally) is just pretty low right now.  If the game isn't fun for
us from the git-go, the default assumption is that it's never going to
be fun for us. :/ Not until an expansion pack or something like that
comes out.

That might just be a temporary burn-out sort of thing though.  UO
wasn't fun for three or four months either, and it DID get better.