[MUD-Dev] Skill System

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Mon Jan 22 14:43:38 CET 2001

I've been browsing the list for a couple months now, and I've noticed
alot of variety in different skill systems.

I'm currently in the early development stages for my own mud, and have
been revising my own ideas for a skill system from the arguements and
counter-arguments.  I'd like to hear what people think of this system.

First, let me explain the environment for the game.  It's a text-based
MU* written in Java, making extensive use of object orienting to
define relationships between most game objects.  The world is 3d
coordinate based, with multiple plane capability.  (Planes being
different coordinate sets).  There will be material code for
determining Item properties, and rooms will be separated by walls made
of various materials, or filled with a material (underground, water,
etc).  This will allow a range of spells like "walk through stone"
which aren't easily written in a standard area type (although costing
memory).

The system is based on a concept of knowledge, there aren't any
classes, players instead choose a few "learning" skills upon character
creation.  Players gain knowledge by using skills in a knowledge area,
and they gain new skills by finding a trainer that teaches that skill
(cannot learn skills without at least a minimum knowledge level for
that skill).  A learning skill is a skills that will train a certain
knowledge area, but doesn't require any of that knowledge to obtain
(giving players a gateway to all knowledge areas).

To prevent skill spam, I think I'll use a queued gain.  whenever a
skill is used, it modifies gain values for the character.  Every
mud-day or so, these values are applied and the character actually
learns (I heard that a certain mud does this when the character
sleeps, I might make that a second condition).  Knowledge gains are
computed on a see-saw system, if you gain in a knowledge area, any
oppossing knowledge area will decrease (preventing "know it all"
players).

Part of the reason I plan on using material code is to allow players
to build or tear apart items, or even create buildings.  Player
created buildings (unlike admin created buildings) will have a
"reclaim" rate to prevent players from just building up the world, and
will require players to upkeep their homes... all buildings will allow
players and creatures to do things like knock down walls, doors, climb
in windows, etc... that'll allow people to have a way to get through
player built barriers.  Item building will be multi-part component
based.  You take the material and craft it into something, certain
Item types can be joined to make complex items.  For example a
weaponsmith will take steel and make a blade, then take some more
steel and leather to make the pommel and hilt, he can then put them
together to make a sword.  I hadn't thought about it before, but this
could also provide a means for advanced repairs, such as a blade
breaking in combat, you can take the current broken blade off and
replace it with a new one.

Items have hit points (or in this case I suppose it'd be item
components), you can repair the item to bring the hp back up, but
you'll lose 1% of the hp lost since the last repair every time (to
force items to wear out).

Since items, rooms, and creatures (my names for the objects) are all
children of the same java object, affects will be usable on all 3
types.  I want it necessary for multiple players to work together to
create powerful objects.  A really good craftsman probably won't be
very good at combat or magic, magical items being vastly superior to
non-magic items requires a skilled magic user and a skilled craftsman.
etc...  (I'm a big fan of encouraging players to work together) I
think it will be possible for a warrior to become at least fairly
skilled in crafting (certain crafting areas will be opposing to
warrior areas, limiting their potential).

I don't have anything really special for warrior or magic skills that
can be expressed without a much more in-depth description of my game
mechanics.  I don't have any real ideas for a explorer types, but John
Buehler's suggestion about limited perception works well with my game
design, I'll probably incorporate that into the system to some extent,
I also have plans to specify roads for the mob AI to use, it'd be
interesting to allow explorer type skills to allow players to take
advantage of that as well.

-- Kwon Ekstrom