[MUD-Dev] Project Entropia

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Mon Jan 22 12:27:02 CET 2001

the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> Yeah, I'd be quite interested to any defences from the Entropia
> guys. They seem to be making a ridiculous number of blatantly
> obvious, serious mistakes, but if they have backing, they can't be
> as out of the loop as they appear to be. Their system pretty much
> guarantees, at present, that they will get totally screwed when
> people start defrauding them by fraudulently generating credits in
> the game and having them turned into real money, or when people
> start using stolen credit card information to wring money out of
> them.

Just because someone puts money in your project doesn't mean it is
going to be a viable business.  I am out in the street now because we
couldn't execute our business plan.

I would like to see a customizable client.  And a published, open
protocol.

Sure the Entropia model could have problems, but Entropia is
essentially on the right track.  Certain business models have not
worked.  Certain ones we don't want to work -- like the one where ads
are embedded in game (see Macromedia game site for examples of this).

I am not wild about the fact that Entropia is trying to patent their
economic model and I wish the company would give up that attempt.  Or
at least have an open license which prevents someone else from
developing a closed patent.  The buying/selling/renting/owning virtual
objects has a potential for big business.  The little bit of stuff
that has gone on at Ebay would be nothing compared to what this market
could do.

frank