[MUD-Dev] Exploration Exp (was: Experience System Differences)

nbossett at pierb.com nbossett at pierb.com
Fri Jan 19 09:51:14 CET 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q1/msg00168.php

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:36:59 -0800 (PST)
"Philip Loguinov, Draymoor" <fibhufky at erols.com> wrote:

> Or, if you want to limit rewards even more, while keeping things
> easy to store. Just have it award the XP to the first person who
> finds the room, flag the room as explored, and not award XP to
> anyone else.

 So once the mud has been running for a few months, what does a newbie
 explorer do to advance?

Types of mud worlds:

  1) static - 'In character' knowledge of most of the world is, for
  the world's society (NPC's, economy, etc), relatively fixed. No
  Marco Polo journeys that change the world.

  2) dynamic - explorers can actually find new cultures/resources and
  add to IC knowledge for the rest of the world (map, establish trade
  routes,...)

All (reasonably long-running) muds I've heard of into category 1, and
that seems to imply a fixed frontier.  This doesn't seem to work well
for explorers if exploration points are not given for new characters
visiting an area, the same way that permenantly wiping out the orc
village a few miles from town would probably make fighters unhappy.

How to make a world where there are always new areas and cities to
explore is an interesting problem given the probable contraint of not
wanting geographical player density to approach 0.

Nathan