[MUD-Dev] I Want to Bake Bread

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 19 09:33:50 CET 2001

Thursday, January 18, 2001, 6:01:10 PM, Hal Bonnin
<triangle at iglobal.net> wrote:

> there are the books that were writen and used more then a hundred
> years ago.  they might get you the specific information you need. i
> remember going to a waterwheel that ground flour and corn. they gave
> out booklets on the entire process of bread making. it was a tourist
> spot more then 20 years ago.. :)

> metalmaking is split into several areas. smelting.(or refining).
> smithing.(swordsmith,armorsmith,blacksmith). tempering(modern age
> add on)

Hmm?  Medieval and ancient smiths knew about tempering... they didn't
have the modern tools to do it with, but they realized that how you
cool a piece of metal affects its qualities, and that you can reheat
metal after working it to change those properties further.

> smelting should be a seprate area of skills. takes different tools
> and ores to make brass,bronze,iron,copper,silver,etc...  different
> temperature fires. different techniques to purify each metal.....

> smithing is simple. heat and hammer, heat and hammer, quench, heat
> and hammer, etc...  the difference between weaponsmiths,armorsmiths
> and blacksmiths is mostly in the anvil and the tools. the skills are
> the same. there are specifics that must be learned to excell such as
> fault lines, heating tempatures, etc...

There are different skills involved.  Indeed, when the US Army needed
to start turning out more sabers for the Civil War, they had to bring
in more smiths.  They brought in experienced blacksmiths, but they had
problems with the quality of their work, because the blacksmiths
simply didn't have any knowledge of or experience with the techniques
needed to make a good sword.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>