[MUD-Dev] PvP Systems

msew msew at ev1.net
Wed Feb 21 00:10:52 CET 2001

At 15:46 01/31/2001 -0800, John Buehler wrote:

> This may come across as more complex than it is, but the question
> for those of you who waded through this long post is: do you see
> scenarios where this system is simply going to produce undesireable
> outcomes?  Are there too many opportunities for players to get their
> settings wrong and have some terrible result?  Will it be too
> complex for players to figure out how to get the effects that
> they're after?  And so on.

> All constructive commentary is welcome.

possible problem with user determined flag system

  group A vs group B

  subset of A set flag of "no attack" on (ie all those nice AE spells
  and pets and ability to attack is removed)

  A and B fight

  During the fight at key moments someone from the A subset moves to a
  backstab position or a position where they can optimal damage from
  an AE spell or some other vicious one time attack (ie Backstab) and
  "enter the fray".  B is powerless to attack these people even tho
  they KNOW that that person is going to be attacking soon.

  B fights and wins but is severely beat down.

  A's remaining subset turns off flags and attacks B!!

  A is fresh.

  B gets crushed cept one lone guy.

  B's lone survivor runs and runs and runs with the majority of A's
  subset chasing.

  B runs to his house!

  A's subset comes into the house ready to kill!

  B says: "sorry go away this is my property and I don't want
  conflict!"

  A's subset is booted out of the house.

adding various time limits and such can try and "fix" the above case
but time limits just make it a bit harder to exploit.

any system where the user can change his state from attackable to non
attackable is exploitable.

msew