[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #289 - 8 msgs

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 14:16:45 CET 2001

Tuesday, February 20, 2001, 5:12:44 AM, msew <msew at ev1.net> wrote:

> check out this article in wired about nokia and the phones they have
> there (irc on their phones basically :-) )

>   http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.09/nokia.html

> if only the FCC were not a bunch of fascists we could have kewl stuff
> like this in the USA :-)

We already have stuff like this in the USA... SMS, the messaging
system they mention, is available on all GSM and CDMA phones.  We
just don't have people using it that way.  Or, if we do, we don't
have reporters reporting on it yet.

(Actually, part of the reason we don't have people using it that way
is because the FCC *isn't* always a bunch of fascists.  Different
cellular carriers in an area don't have to make it easy (or even
possible, I think) to send SMS messages from their phones to another
carrier's phones.  Thus, in the US, unless you and all your friends
use the same cellular carrier, you often can't all exchange messages
that way).

In the way of other "neat stuff", I remember seeing a Palm VII
application that was like a "local area IRC".  The Palm VII can
automatically find out what area code you're in from the local
broadcast tower, and someone took advantage of that to make an app
that allowed you to chat with everyone else in that area code who was
also using the app.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>