[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Feb 20 13:56:07 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Freeman" <SkeptAck at antisocial.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

<SNIP>
> I just want to declare again how *insane* I think it is to have a
> quest for Thor's Hammer that any number of people can complete.
>
> "I have Thor's hammer!"
>
> "Me too!  I killed him last week!"
>
> "Ooh, will you help me kill him so I can have his hammer, too?!"
>
> Jesus, stop putting single-player quests in multiplayer games,
> already.

<SNIP>
> It isn't the "system", it's the quests.  They are single-player quests
> in a multiplayer world.

What do you consider a multiplayer world quest then?

It's easy to harp on the single player quests in a multiplayer world,
but I'd like to hear an alternate suggestion. Or is this really just,
remove quests from multiplayer worlds. In which case, remove
areas/dungeons.. just have camping spawns. At least, those are the
next things to follow. Some people enjoy quests, for the aspect of
solving them. Figuring out the puzzles, doing the deed. You can get
players who won't tell that information because solving it meant
something to them. You can have players who enjoy it from the rp
standpoint of being able to talk about it. So though it may not be
wonderful for everyone, there's a portion of the population that truly
enjoys questing for various reasons.

Without an alternate 'multiplayer world' quest, you're just removing
those players from your game. And frankly, those quotes above aren't
from the players I'm talking about.

    rayzam
    www.retromud.org