[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Tue Feb 20 05:26:28 CET 2001

From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>

> EverQuest's 'consider' system is not something that I'd cite in
> talking about skill systems.  It does not take into account an NPC's
> speed, strength, armor class, weapons, magical resistance, etc.

The amount of XP you gain from killing an NPC shouldn't be based on
whether it cons "green" or "blue" or whatever to you, since that
doesn't have a whole lot to do with how difficult the encounter is.

Or to put it another way: How much XP you gain (or whether you gain
any) should be based on how difficult the encounter is.  In EQ, it
isn't, but other MUDs could do a better job of that (and provide a
more accurate con system to boot).

Any valid reason to put /consider in a mud and then have the
consider-system lie to the players?  Why not just make it random, or
leave it out altogether, if the players can't trust the con-system and
have to figure out whether they can beat any given type of mob from
experience?

> All of those things are usually very high on NPCs in order to make
> them more of a challenge to players because NPCs have no brains.

Nevertheless, if the NPC is going to mop the floor with you, but the
consider-system says it looks like an even fight, then the
consider-system is broke.

> A Ghoul Lord is a highly-skilled, strong and fast opponent.  It's
> not an example of a 'novice' by any stretch.  The green 'con' is a
> lie.

Why have a consider system like that?  For newbies?  Why not just
disable it after level 3 or 4, then?

In reference to your skill system - will you have a /con system?  And
how will you make it accurate with a skill system vs. a class/level
system like EQ's (which isn't even close to being accurate)?