[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Tue Feb 20 05:13:20 CET 2001

From: "Madrona Tree" <madronatree at hotmail.com>
> From: "msew" <msew at ev1.net>

>> Further, it makes zero sense for someone not to see items while
>> others can based on whom they talked to.  Now while maybe this
>> works for the uber divine quests where people are looking for holy
>> relics and what not, but making some people see fire beetle eyes
>> and others not is pretty sketchy.

I just want to declare again how *insane* I think it is to have a
quest for Thor's Hammer that any number of people can complete.

"I have Thor's hammer!"

"Me too!  I killed him last week!"

"Ooh, will you help me kill him so I can have his hammer, too?!"

Jesus, stop putting single-player quests in multiplayer games,
already.

(Not that you do that, matt, since I get the impression Archea isn't
all about that anyway, but Ms. Tree is posting from an EQ
perspective...).

> Well, not fire beetle eyes.  But i think for the NoDrop quest-items,
> yeah.  And then if somebody is *on* the quest, and has set the flag,
> it shouldn't take them 50 avocet kills to find an aviak charm.  It
> should take them perhaps 5.

EQ = bad example.  This is a game in which you can go kill a person,
so that you can return the person's head to prove you did it, only to
discover that 9 out of 10 times this person HAS NO HEAD.

EQ quests are all about camping.  Every single one of them.  They are
built-in downtime.  They make baby Jesus cry.  I haven't seen a single
EQ quest (other than "deliver the mail" - and that's not a metaphor,
btw, it was a freaking quest to literally DELIVER MAIL) that didn't
involve killing the same thing over and over until it FINALLY had
whatever it was that some other npc told you it had, including such
things as body parts.

> Why drag it out and make it tedius?  I mean what if I don't want to
> kill something over, and over, and over?  What if I don't have (or
> want to have) that kind of time to invest?

Play Baldur's Gate II?

> Moreover, I shouldn't be able to even get the Warrior's Crafted
> Armor quest as a Druid (I was).  Cut down on the amt of camp time,
> and the # of people doing the quest, and you'd have a much
> smoother-flowing quest system.

It isn't the "system", it's the quests.  They are single-player quests
in a multiplayer world.

> But the group you are talking about -- the
> "Quest?-What-Quest?-Just-Give-Me-The-Loot-Already" types -- I think
> a lot of them are grief players, or grief players waiting to happen,
> or grief players in sheep's clothing, or something.

I'm not a grief player, but just give me the loot and spare me having
to kill Joe the Beggar over and over until I finally manage to kill
Joe while he has, say, A HEAD.

I mean, ok, sure, sometimes beggars are missing hands and feet.  I can
live with that.  But no HEAD?