[MUD-Dev] enforced roleplaying

Sanvean sanvean at ginka.armageddon.org
Sat Feb 17 12:55:33 CET 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> Can anyone describe in some level of detail the methods by which an
> rp-intensive mud of at least some size (like Threshold, or
> Armaggedon if it peaks over 100 players) enforces roleplay? Also, is
> total roleplay enforced, or are there exceptions? I'm quite
> interested in how it is done without the players hating you for
> being a "nazi admin."

Well, but we are nazis.

However, aside from this, to a large extent the players are the ones
who keep this going -- I see them instructing the newbies, and
objecting when someone else does something that's bad.  Problems arise
when two people's ideas of what's good roleplay varies -- but the best
way to address that is in the documentation, by making things as clear
as possible.  We're also got an incredibly active discussion board,
where a lot of debate, clarification, etc. takes place.

Which is not to downplay the importance of the staff, but our lowest
level of immortals, the Storytellers, are not allowed to interact
directly with players via sends -- they have to switch into NPCs and
try to answer questions, solve problems while remaining in character.
This keeps the level of perceived fascism down (to a certain extent,
since I do have a immortals who I feel as though I have to be
constantly reining in due to their zeal).

Sanvean
http://www.armageddon.org
Armageddon MUD.  Roleplay required.