[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Fri Feb 16 02:42:01 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 12:41 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, rayzam wrote:
>
>>> Koster, Raph <rkoster at verant.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> MUD-Dev is hardly representative of the player base(s).

>> Well, is this entirely true? A developer of a mud builds a place
>> for a specific type of player. Some muds appeal to socializers,
>> roleplayers, explorers, playerkillers, politics, hack-and-slash,
>> party people, soloers, build your own niche of the worlders,
>> etc. In that sense, developers are representative of their player
>> base [or else the player base votes with their feet, and move to
>> another place].

> Most of the people who enjoy Picasso aren't much like him.

That's a misleading analogy. I'll start off assuming that he liked his
paintings. And they like his paintings. So he's representative of that
painting style. It doesn't mean they can all paint the way he does, or
enjoy what he paints, the same way the players of a mud may not be
able to code the way the designers and developers do.

However, you're a case in point. You put forth your opinions about
political systems and PvP [in another ongoing thread]. So I take you
to be representative of the mindset of the players who enjoy playing
in that environment.

Did you not create a game you'd enjoy playing?

That's what I mean by representative.
    rayzam
    www.retromud.org