[MUD-Dev] Room and Terrain Integration in Textual Environments

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 14 02:05:36 CET 2001

Hi Per,

vognsen at post10.tele.dk wrote:

> A character's field of view (FOV) is defined by a triangle with one
> vertex placed at the character's position. When you want to find out
> what objects can be seen by the character at a given point in time,
> you do recursive intersection tests to determine what objects are
> contained within the FOV triangle. An object's physical geometry is
> described by either points or polygons. When you have collected a
> set of all the visible objects, you create a text string based on
> their properties.

I was wondering about this:

Once you have a list of objects that are visible within the FOV, how do
you take that and generate a good text description with decent prose to
display to the user?

On TEC, we maintain the room system for descriptions and use the
coordinate system and the capabilities that that provides to augment
the room descriptions with additional prose evoking a sense of space
and one's presence within the surrounding environment.  Do you do
something similar, or are you directly generating the descriptions
from the data obtained by the above description?

  - Bruce