[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Sat Feb 10 23:40:51 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Crowell" <frankc at maddog.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

> Ben Chambers wrote:
>
> > this may have already been posted, but I envision a MUD client where
> > there are sections of the screen, and input is seperated... if the
> > user didn't have this, they would only get the text based version.
>
> [client view deleted]
>
> > but of the information is recieved in three bursts, so the client can
> > re-arrange this information for their own personal preferences.
>
> Actually I see it more as tagged information so that I can do things
> like:
>
>   -entry tagged as "positional update" goes to the little dot viewing
>   window, with a possible update to the velocity of the little moving
>   dot
>
>   -entry tagged with somebody said something", goes to the people
>   talking window

Interesting idea.  I think that I may actually work on developing a
new mud standard, as this would be the best way to go.  next
generation ANSI.

> I have been noodling with the idea of taking a Cold server and
> making the changes for 3D space (actually it should be 4-space huh?)
> and tagged information.  But then I would have to write at least one
> client.  Maybe using the SDL lib (Simple DirectMedia Layer).

> Rogue worked nicely because they could tell you that the letter "R"
> was a rust monster and you would believe them.  If I had to do the
> same thing in a 3D world, I wouldn't even know what a rust monster
> looked like, much less know where to find a model of one.  So for
> right now I think calling a little dot "rust monster" would work
> better than trying to actually render a rust monster.  And tomorrow
> maybe I could use something like Genesis3D or Crystalspace and create
> a 3D rust monster.  But the server wouldn't know and wouldn't care.

The problem is if you do this, their is no more imagination involved.
The rougelike game still requires the player to envision what is
happening, you just have the added perk of actually seeing the lay of
the land.  MUDs differ from games like diablo 2 in ONE way.  They
require imagination.  If you add graphics, you are basically writing
an enhanced form of diablo 2.