[MUD-Dev] Question about Cygwin.

Ryan P. rpfeiffe at niu.edu
Thu Feb 8 09:48:50 CET 2001

At 06:52 AM 3/4/2001 -0800, Chris Bunting wrote:

> This has nothing to do with Mud Dev but this is the only list I've
> used in the past. I'll make this quick too. Sorry for the off topic
> post.

> My Question, If a mud server, Rom, Merc, Smaug ECT codebase is
> compiled with Cygwin under windows, Will it still allow multiplayer
> support?

I will tell you my problems from experience with compiling MudOS
(major LP-mud based driver). The two main things I had to worry about
with MudOS was that it already had code for Windows builds that was
very outdated. I know very little about Diku bases, so I'll just tell
you about what I did with MudOS. What I had to do was make sure none
of the Windows code compiled (#undef'ing WINNT, WIN95, WIN32, etc.)
and make sure that the driver explicitly read and wrote in the UNIX
file format, because MudOS gets touchy about DOS files sometimes. It
runs fine without problems, but I wouldn't keep it as a full-time
server, but it's nice to mess around with.

On a side note, the old The Forest's Edge codebase is available at
www.seltha.net compiled for Windows; the code is available as
well. You might want to try looking at that (although I believe the
code is directed at MSVC++ 6.0, not cygwin, but there is also a UNIX
version of the code).

Hope this helped,
--Ryan