[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Apr 30 10:16:29 CEST 2001

On 27 April 2001 09:41 Jon Lambert wrote
> Steven Fleischaker wrote:

>> In Win-NT/2k is there an optimal way to halt a thread, pause N
>> milliseconds in clock time, then pick it back up without bogging
>> your thread down in endless calls to a time command?

> I believe Sleep() and SleepEx() are the preferred means of doing
> this from with a thread.

Under winNT, 2000 you really need to investigate 'completion ports' if
you intend to get efficient socket io. The multithreaded stuff which
is part of the winsock library doesn't really sit too well on NT in
terms of efficiency and NT style overlapped io is the way
forward. There should be at least a couple of articles on it in MSDN,
but its not a widely known technique.

Dan

I decided to dig the article up for you :

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period00/Winsock.htm