[MUD-Dev] Where are we now?

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Mon Apr 30 09:55:20 CEST 2001

From: "Greg Munt" <greg.munt at btinternet.com>

> attracting.  Hatred and lust seem to win out every time. I hate to
> sound arrogant (no, really!), but the intelligence of the average
> player seems to verge on zero.

Agreed, there are alot of idiots out there, whether it's the guy who
can't understand how to do anything in the game, or the anti-social
player.

> Okay. That wasn't actually my reason for posting. I wanted to ask
> what has changed in mudding in the past two years. It was mentioned
> on DevMUD yesterday that free muds just haven't really changed at
> all - but commercial muds have. Indeed, they have sucked out the
> skills that free muds need to grow and thrive, and left nothing but
> a stagnancy.

I'd say that both commercial and free muds have advanced, in general,
free muds can be run by any moron who can pay $20-$30/mo for a server
or DSL line.  Because of that, alot of people who shouldn't be fit for
admining get their hands in the mix and give us free muds a bad name.

Unfortunately, I will admit that there is alot of stagnancy in BOTH
commercial and free.  Commercial muds have to spend alot of their time
building stability rather than creating truely innovative systems, and
alot of free muds have to spend their time reworking a core to support
those innovative systems.  Innovative systems do slowly trickle into
the mud pool tho, so don't be discouraged.

> So, what am I doing now? I've turned to Java, a la jeffk. I'm even
> more convinced that text muds are the ancient beast that just
> refuses to die, even when it is long overdue. I'm interested in a
> doomesque client. I'm interested in how the hell we make a place
> that isn't wholly populated by moronic imbeciles looking for their
> next cyberorgasm. In a place where you are welcomed - not rejected,
> hated and despised.

I've turned to java as well, but probably for different reasons.  I
intend to release my codebase and the cross-platform capability
without much porting, ease of memory management (while keeping an eye
on the traps the java GC lays before me), etc.

I'd say that you can't prevent imbeciles and anti-social people from
playing on your game, you can encourage the players to be more
intelligent by writing intelligent systems (often people don't use
what they aren't required to).

Just my 2 cents...
-- Kwon Ekstrom