[DESIGN] Re: Economic & Currency Solutions (was RE: [Mud-Dev] Broken currencies)

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 12:15:56 CEST 2001

Wednesday, April 11, 2001, 1:27:42 PM, Travis Nixon
<tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com> wrote:
> From: "Marian Griffith" <gryphon at iaehv.nl>

>> The best solution is to scrap the idea that monsters must drop gold
>> and equipment.  If you want a sword you must buy one from another
>> player. If you want gold you must make a sword and sell it :)

>> Players are not going to appreciate it, but it will result in a
>> real economy in your game, especially if you also introduce
>> destruction of worn out equipment.

> And if you really want to make things interesting, make it so that
> the roving goblin tribes can buy swords from players, at which point
> swords might be found on dead goblins for a while.

A couple of other interesting things along these lines that I haven't
seen mentioned:

   - Implement item damage.  If you spend ten rounds hacking away at
   an orc who's wearing armor with your battle axe before killing it,
   that armor might not be in the best of shape afterwards.  Shops
   might either refuse to buy damaged items or might give a lot less
   money for them.  This in turn might encourage players to either
   have their characters learn how to repair such items, or make
   friends/deals with other characters who have.

   (This might also encourage other creative thinking, depending on
   how detailed a setup you have.  For example, in paper D&D games
   that I've run, players have learned that if they want to loot a
   bunch of orcs, it can be a good idea to use a sleep spell on them.
   Then they can cut the orcs' throats and not run the risk of
   damaging the orcs' armor.)

   - Make intelligent monsters pick up equipment off their defeated
   foes, and either use it or sell it.  This can make recovering your
   equipment a good bit harder, and can be especially fun with
   personalized equipment.  ("That orc's wearing my cloak!" :-)

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>