[MUD-Dev] Are eBay sales more than just a fad?

Nathan Clemons nathan at windsofstorm.net
Wed Sep 13 15:54:36 CEST 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Taylor wrote:
>

> > Games are a form of escapism. Why would players embrace a system where the
> > people who were rich in the game were the same people who were rich in
> > real life? I want worlds where the 45 year old executive is on the same
> > economic footing as the 14 year old student. That's what makes it
> > interesting.
>
> *Shrug* Players do. That's all that matters.
> --matt

*Some* players do. Most admins don't. A lot of players don't. A lot of
players do NOT want to have to compete against people who have advanced by
thier IRL merits as opposed to their IC/IG merits. I stand in the latter
two categories... as an admin of a "hobbyist" MUD, I'd never countenance
the enhancement of characters via IRL payment. As a player of EverQuest,
the concept of what eBay has made possible for the idiots who say "sow
plz, d00d" makes me shudder inside and instinctively want to recoil.

--
Nathan P. Clemons
Sun Microsystems Certified Solaris Administrator (2.6)
nathan at windsofstorm.net   nathan at thelinuxcommunity.org
(v) 401.725.6061          (f) 603.372.9737