[MUD-Dev] MUD Coding Staff Structure

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Wed Sep 13 12:29:26 CEST 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Malcolm Tester wrote:

> popularity until 2.4.5)  By broken, I believe Michael is saying that the
> mudlib at the time was easily hacked.  By default, valid_read() and

It was me and not Michael...

Anyway, by broken I mean that it was mangled and hacked from a much older
version of LPC, from back when LPC didn't have inheritance at all.  This
meant lots of stuff worked with #includes and other horribleness.  The
structure of how you became a wizard was also extremely weird and there
were no nice base inheritables for anything in particular.  It was and
always will be an extremely simple mudlib, with a few major design flaws.
Most of those flaws are because of it's history and how it came to be
rather than specificly overlooking certain issues.

> After LPMUD was released, the development branched off in two main
> directions of the driver.  MudOS was born, and written from scratch (I
> think) and went in one direction.  LPMUD itself was no longer maintained by

No :)  It is still based on the original lpmud 3.0 written by Lars.

> In all this time though, LPC as a language has changed little.  There are
> now foreach constructs, a few other things and fixes.  But LPC is still
> geared in 3 flavors that I know of.  MudOS's version (which is little
> different from LDmud), LDmud's, and what is called LPC4, which was created
> by Pen, I think.

There is also Dworkin's game driver (DGD) the commerical rights to which
are held by Skotos.  Dworkin is definately still developing this as well.

Mudos web site is at:
http://www.mudos.org

Good luck!
David.