[MUD-Dev] trade skill idea

Josh Olson jolson at micron.net
Fri Oct 6 11:19:20 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>
> > But trade skills are ultimately formal processes with static
> > components and predefined outcomes.
>
> I used this line already, but... pfft. That's only because they have been
> made so thus far. They don't have to be. Heck, I can make a combat system
> that is a formal process with static components and predefined outcomes.
> Nobody would call that fun. But nobody would claim that was the only way
it
> had to be. Why say the same for crafting?

You're implying that the converse transformation can be made to trade
skills, but I don't think it's that easy.  Just the fact that in every MUD
example I can think of, trade skills are formal processes (etc. etc.) is
fair evidence that it would be non-trivial to make them otherwise.

I realize I just painted a semantic bullseye on my chest, so allow me to
cover my tracks a bit.  I define "trade skill" as a solitary activity
wherein a player consumes material components to create an object that can
be used, traded, or sold for profit.  To the best of my knowledge, this
definition encompasses trade skills in the big 3.

My suspicion is that designers will start getting sick of the inevitability
of trade skills becoming repetitious, and toss them out entirely.  In their
stead will come a new batch of not-really-trade-skill activities like house
construction and other high-level services/processes that either require
participation of multiple people or are dynamic to the point of never being
the same twice.

-Josh Olson