[MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

Powell Powell
Tue May 23 20:13:26 CEST 2000

answer. I was toying with the idea of having a number of threads running
concurrently that were tagged with a line of influence that would become
evident in the game world.

By example, there would be a thread for each religious group, and a main
religious thread. The main thread would keep values for all of the religious
beliefs (gods) and rate their worldly influence based on this value (i.e
god1=100, god2=150 etc). An event (quest) that is based on a particular
religions thread would therefore document a hisorical entry for that
religion (Bubba found the Grail) and give a bonus to the main religious
threads score. When the score hits a certain level above the others, then a
"miracle" would occur (blight in the case of an evil god) and become know
through the whole world via town criers etc. This would then provide a basis
for fanatacism (yee-haa) to become rife and get people a lot more involved.

Likewise there would be threads for other classes or world/city based
politics and such. The threads could also influence other threads to provide
conflicts. In this way, if one thread required a PC to steal an object from
another story thread to have it progress, there would be a conflict between
them, and if the conflict value rose too much, then all out war ensues until
they are placated.

ideas??