[MUD-Dev] Mud Network Setup

Todd McKimmey rufus at wombatgames.com
Fri Mar 3 10:58:20 CET 2000

From: "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com>
> For those of you that are running your own in-house servers:
>
> What networking hardware are you using, routers, cards, modems, etc.?
> What is the general cost of that setup?
> What type of network connection and what was the install cost and
> monthly, yearly cost are you paying?
> What sort of internet service providers do you have a favorable opinion
> of with regards to connection reliability, cost, domain registration,
etc.?

Our server uses a 3com 10/100 Ethernet card, and we use a ALCTEL 1000 DSL
modem, for networking. It's a P3-450 with 384megs of ram, 2 9gig HD's,
running Debian Linux 2.1.

The system was somewhere around $1200 or so, but was purchased back when ram
was relatively cheap, and the DSL modem was $200.

Our line is a 128K upstream, 384K downstream, we pay for 5 static IP's. The
setup for the ISP, the line, etc, was somewhere around $450, but I know in
this area now they're pretty much setting up the things for free as long as
you sign a 1 year contract. The monthly cost for the DSL is somewhere in the
neighborhood of about $40 a month.

We're reasonably happy with ours right now (South Western Bell) and I could
probably name a few we've had bad experiences with, but I won't =). In
general, if your phone company provides ISP support, and are reliable, I'd
recommend them, as they usually throw in the ISP services for free when you
subscribe to a DSL (if DSL is the way you intend to go). Otherwise you end
up having to pay for the ISP on top of that, which I know, locally, can run
anywhere between $30 and $100 a month depending on who you're using and what
services you need.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu