[MUD-Dev] Little Touches (was Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly)

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Sat Jun 10 22:00:53 CEST 2000

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 02:46:19AM -0500, Todd McKimmey wrote:

> I'd really be interested in hearing some of the other 'little touches' that
> people have incorporated into their own games, and the player response.

Since real life is rudely interfering with my MUDing, I hope to finish off a feature
that I've been working on. Herb lore. Eventually players will be able to identify
and find herbs in our world.  Oh and actually use them in various ways.  eg healing,
curing, coagulating, poisoning, etc.  Your basic alchemy.  I imagine that only
certain guild (classes) will use this skill, seeing that it complements their skills.

One that went over really well was invasions. They aren't automated. I just clone
a few monsters in our main city and the players come running. I usually send out
very tough monsters, and almost every player dies at least once. Our mud has
permadeath once your power points reach 0, tho healers can donate their own
power points to another character.  Healers get power points from gathering rare
herbs.

A city guard shouts: Help! Demon invaders!!

And one that went over like a lead balloon, Balls. (as in parties)
I coded ball/party servers and ancillary objects so that players can rent out
the ballroom and have parties. It is totally player customizable. Drinking, food,
bouncers, dancers(tho one player suggested strippers). I didn't code up every
feature that I wanted, (un?)luckily.  I was kinda surprised that the players
didn't use it more.  Our players tend to chat alot about MUD and Real Life topics.
Shrug.

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.