[MUD-Dev] Re: [Meta] New poll

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Sat Jun 10 21:23:54 CEST 2000

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 09:17:08PM +0000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Eli Stevens wrote:
>
> > I am not sure, but I do not think that any one of the answers addresses MUDs
> > like Achaea.  Might there be room for a "Yes, it was supported by the
> > business model"?
>
> Anyone else out there that has adopted our business model (free play with
> players buying skills/items/property for real money) or had success with
> it prior to this? I don't know of any other muds that are set up with our
> business model, but I'd definitely be interested in talking to any admins
> out there that do this.

Threshold does something similiar. http://www.threshold-rpg.com/

IIRC you register your character to get better
perks.  I never registered, but from stories from ex-players there I heard that
some players poured thousands of dollars there.  I talked to these ex-players
a long time ago, so my memory is alittle hazy.  Some of the perks were:
a global chat channel just for registered characters, faster hit and endurance
point recovery, more emotes, and some type of RP bonus. There are probably more...

Side Note: Someone said earlier it's only a matter of time until someone
commits suicide over a MUD.  I believe that has already happened to a player at
Threshold. (Or maybe he/she just threatened to.)

Since we're on infamous usenet flame war topics, Medieva(sp?) might also.

Erik

--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.