[MUD-Dev] Birthday Cake (or Why Large Scale Sometimes Sucks) (long)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jun 9 01:53:27 CEST 2000

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000 04:39:40 +0000 (GMT)
Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>>> J C Lawrence wrote: > What exactly constitutes a multiplayer
>>> game?
>>
>> Diplomacy.  Always my model of a PURE multiplayer game.
> After I wrote my first post on this subject (which basically said
> what you did except less succinctly), it occurred to me that
> politics (or diplomacy as you call it) are the essence of
> multiplayer games.

There is a specific (and rather impressive) game called Diplomacy to
which Jon is referring.  See the Diplomatic Pouch at:

  http://devel.igo.org/DipPouch/

for details.  A few web searches will lead you to several hundred
other pages.  Diplomacy has been mentioned and lightly discussed on
MUD-Dev several times over the last years.  It is a rather
impressive game.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu