[MUD-Dev] Forks or Frameworks?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 31 22:24:43 CET 2000

On Friday, December 29, 2000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Travis Casey wrote:
>> Saturday, December 23, 2000, 3:04:05 PM, Bryce Harrington
>> <bryce at neptune.net> wrote:

>> IMHO, there's very little technical challenge to it... the Tiny
>> family and its offshoots have long had fairly easy to use
>> player-level creation tools.  The biggest problems are security
>> problems -- e.g., how to prevent someone from making an unfair trap
>> for another character.  That's probably why it's mostly been done
>> so far on muds without nonconsensual character changes.

> Let's not forget the product that could revolutionize the friendly
> D&D session between friends: Neverwinter Nights.

Possibly... we'll have to see.  It will probably go over better with
younger D&Ders who are used to the computer incarnations of the
system; in my "old fogie" set, there've been a lot of complaints about
the fact that it's going to be real-time.

(Yes, I know that the GM can stop the clock whenever he/she wants...
but it takes time to ask the GM to do that, and time for the GM to do
it...)

We've been using WebRPG to run a D&D campaign, but we're not likely to
switch over to NWN... as we get older and have less time to devote to
memorizing rules, we have to look up things like "what does spell X
do" more and more often, and that doesn't work well in a real-time
environment.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>