[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Fri Dec 29 21:12:42 CET 2000

From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

> A third method is to have such long-term actions happen "offstage"
> -- that is, the character does them while the player is logged off.
> This can work nicely, but requires some sort of interface for
> players to specify what they want their characters to do while
> they're logged off, and a reporting mechanism so that a player can
> find out what a character actually got done when he/she logs on.
>
> Any other ideas on how to implement long-term actions?

I think some type of web-interface could be pretty useful in something
like that.  An awful lot of our players don't play while at work, for
example, but they do read message boards and whatnot (strictly on
their lunch breaks, I'm sure).  'Could be kind of neat to hop onto a
website and, without actually logging in and "playing", check on or
even change whatever it is your character is doing.  'Maybe more
useful for a graphical mud, though, since players probably CAN login
to a text mud from work.