[MUD-Dev] Ray Feist interview

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Fri Dec 29 18:39:38 CET 2000

Koster, Raph writes:

> Raymond E. Feist Interview

That certainly gave me insights into a different way of thinking about
these games.

What percentage of folks here are interested in trying to move players
(independent-minded as they are) through a story of their own making?
I find that an odd thing to attempt.  I can only see the gamemasters
controlling very large scale events, with the players controlling all
the smaller-scale things.  For example, the gamemasters control
invasions, assasinations, plagues, famines, etc.  Macro trends.  The
players decide what they want to do within that envelope.  The
gamemasters can choose to react to what players are doing, but there's
not much point in having momentus events focused on some small segment
of players because that means that the rest of the players are having
to play a different game.

I come from the school of thought that states that games shouldn't be
inviting players to spend their lives there - which is what players
are encouraged to do when they find that their actions impact the
macro activites of a 2000+ player server.  They can be FAMOUS!  If
only they spend the 100 hours a week needed to be among the few that
have characters in a position to perform the needed actions.  It's a
strange way to derive satisfaction from life.

JB