[MUD-Dev] Forks or Frameworks?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 22 10:00:45 CET 2000

Wednesday, December 20, 2000, 7:03:16 PM, Koster, Raph <rkoster at verant.com> wrote:

>> From: mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu
>> [mailto:mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu]On Behalf Of Matthew Mihaly

>> Personally, I have a difficult time understanding why anyone who is
>> setting out to make a good mud would use _any_ copycatted content.

> 1. Because they want a platform they are familiar with.
> 2. Because they want to do "X mud but better"
> 3. Because they want a rapid prototyping platform to test concepts
> 4. Because they don't have the chops to make everything from scratch
> (which doesn't, IMHO, preclude their being able to make a good mud).

> Much as we might like to decry stockmud syndrome, it's not a bad
> thing for the community, IMHO. If they didn't exist, then we'd just
> have fewer people who created new codebases.

I've mentioned before my own view -- that many people run muds because
they want to run a game, not because they want to *create* a game.
Just as many people running a paper RPG choose to use an existing
setting and background, many people starting muds are happy to use an
existing server and areas.

Personally, I'd predict that when there are more muds where people can
create and run their own stories/adventures without having to go
through a lengthy process to become a "wizard" or such, you'll see a
decline in the number of stock muds being put up.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>