[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Brad Wyble wyble at wjh.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 30 14:52:09 CEST 2000

Dan writes:

> Now you're understanding.  A person who's "become a member of the community"
> has done so by giving other people ties to his RL person.   It's rare to
> have a long-time member of the community that nobody even knows what country
> they live in.   Again, solving the anonymity (in a non-abusable way!)  will
> help.

I do not believe RL ties are a prerequisite to being a member of the
community.  I know someone who has been in an EQ guild for many months,
is a part of the community, and who's gender is not known.

I participate in an online gaming group that has persisted for
perhaps 3 years now.  People's occupations and locations are rarely if
ever mentioned and I could name the location of less than half of them.

Obviously RL ties help cement someone into a community, but I think it an
overstatement that they are a necessary part, as you imply above.

-Brad Wyble