time delays on PK (was Re: [MUD-Dev] UO rants)

gmiller at classic-games.com gmiller at classic-games.com
Wed Aug 30 13:46:20 CEST 2000

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00910.php

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:12:33 -0700
Dan Merillat <harik at chaos.ao.net> wrote:

> Death dosn't work well if you instantly respawn.  That just makes life
> exciting, and thus feeds the griefer.  If death involves a (growing) timeout,
> at first it's no big deal but when you get a 15 minute wait between logins, it
> starts to be daunting.

Time delays are one potentially workable approach. Personally, I'd give a
certain number of "points" for each death, and gradually lower the point total
over time in order to punish people for frequent death rather than total deaths
(which would tend to favor new players over long-time players). I'm not sure
15 minutes would be enough, however.

There are other ways to accomplish this, though. Some muds use a sort of
semi-permadeath, where you can buy or otherwise acquire extra lives. People who
die rapidly tend to run out, while people who don't suffer no major
consequences.

Anybody got any other good schemes for making death significant for griefers?