[MUD-Dev] PK vs. PvP (was: UO rants)

Dan Merillat harik at chaos.ao.net
Tue Aug 29 14:46:14 CEST 2000

Matthew Mihaly writes:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Vincent Archer wrote:
> > It also brings out the worst. I don't know how it finished, but one PK
> > guild took control of a city, and asked cash to allow you in.
> >
> > Not pyreals. Money order, bills or personal check "and we wait till it
> > clears".
>
> Poor design. Where was the city government's incentive (and power) to step
> in and stop this action? There should be negative consequences to this
> sort of behavior, as, after all, a city with no traffic going in and out
> will (or should) suffer economic consequences.

Quite.  And if you didn't pay and wandered into the city, the mercants would
happily serve you, and the guards would let you be.   If you were online while
the PvP clan was not, you wouldn't even know it had happened.  That's pretty
typical of an out-of-system problem.   Setup a rigid system (all players are
accepted by the guards, NPC merchants treat you the same way, etc) and you
end up with with a daichotomy between what they players say is happening and
what your world engine does.

If I had to work as hard as they did to create that in-game situation. (Online
constantly to PK anyone not on the allowed list because the NPCs had no clue),
damm straight I'd demand sufficient rewards.  Would this be considered an
"a*****e attack" if they took over a city, killed all the guards, looted
the merchants and took it all back to THEIR city?   Effectivly making the city
a ghost town?   What if they burned it to the ground?   Why is it that they
are considered assholes because they imposed a situation on the game?  Isn't
that what PvP is about?   If it's just a bunch of posturing and duels, it's
hardly vs. anything.

--Dan