[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Dan Merillat harik at chaos.ao.net
Tue Aug 29 14:26:29 CEST 2000

"John Buehler" writes:
> Oh, you're talking about the lack of conscience in player characters.  No
> argument there.  This is why I believe that the network anonymity problem
> needs to be addressed.  Letting people into an environment that simulates
> reality without any aspect of responsibility is a very dangerous thing.  It
> only gets worse as the fidelity of the environment keeps improving.

Now you're understanding.  A person who's "become a member of the community"
has done so by giving other people ties to his RL person.   It's rare to
have a long-time member of the community that nobody even knows what country
they live in.   Again, solving the anonymity (in a non-abusable way!)  will
help.

--Dan