[MUD-Dev] Transportation (was: UO rants)

KevinL darius at bofh.net.au
Tue Aug 29 13:35:13 CEST 2000

>>> "Chris Lloyd" wrote
> Solutions? Well... We could put in an arbitrary one-second delay for moving
> between rooms, but do players want to have to count the rooms they go
> through? Or should we simply invent a good reason to have a waypoint or
> portal at regular intervals?

Moebius currently has allowance for delays on any command - I think that's
been mentioned before.  It's a cute idea, but I suspect guaranteed to drive
players mad when moving.

Which is why endurance, and fatigue, exist.  Let them move as fast as they
like, but the faster they move, the quicker they tire.  You could actually tie
the two together - .5 second delay on each room if you're running, 1sec if
you're walking - you'll tire faster if you run.

NPC's can help, too - if you're in hostile territory, and NPC's have the
ability to block you from leaving/engage you in combat rapidly, then you
essentially enlarge the area, by enlarging the time it'd take players to move
through it.  Can't sprint from one side to the other if the place is scattered
with delaying tactics ;)

Other features - rivers with boats, chasms requiring spell-casting to fly
across, etc. and so forth - scatter them around, and travel is fraught with
danger and event, rather than being a string of "n,e,n,n,ne,e,e".

Does that make sense?  Is it reasonably, or is it all likely to be worked
around/annoy the players?  I'm just throwing ideas in here...

KevinL