[MUD-Dev] Justifying twinking

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Fri Apr 28 17:16:22 CEST 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > Travis S. Casey wrote:
> >> To me, it seems ridiculous -- no real squirrel or rat is likely
> >> to inflict significant harm on a normal, healthy, awake & aware
> >> adult human even *without* armor and weapons.
>
> Anybody who has bathed a cat knows how effective a small, fluffy
> cuddly big-eyed pettable small animal can be in its own defense.
> Anybody that has walked too near a nesting goose will also know just
> how fearsome an opponent a gander can make (a critter whose only
> "real" weapon is a rather dull beak).

Yes, but in all of these examples (including Christopher's coon and
posum stories), your goal was not to *kill* the creature, but rather
to do something with it (take it somewhere, or wash behind its ears, or
whatever).

My guess is that any full-grown adult who put on a full suit of "armor"
(body padding and maybe a catcher's mask), grabbed a baseball bat, then
went out and found any small mamal with the purpose of pummeling it
to death would probably not have the slightest chance of taking more than
scratches from the creature before it was unconscious.

Now, actually getting one to sit still long enough for you to smack it with
the bat is another matter altogether.

Another argument for not putting these sorts of "newbie targets" into a mud
is obvious looking at this example:

    Pummeling small furry animals does not a hero make.

Adam