[MUD-Dev] Justifying twinking

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Fri Apr 28 16:51:29 CEST 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:02:41 -0700
Christopher Allen <ChristopherA at Skotos.net> wrote:

> Travis S. Casey wrote:
>> To me, it seems ridiculous -- no real squirrel or rat is likely
>> to inflict significant harm on a normal, healthy, awake & aware
>> adult human even *without* armor and weapons.

> This is true for game purposes, but I've had an incident with a
> coon who ate a hole through our roof into my closet, and another
> incident with pesky opossums that were ripping holes in PVC pipes
> under my house to get to water. Both were quite frightening, in
> some ways the opossum's even more so as I didn't think they would
> fight back so hard. Neither incident did I get harmed, but in both
> I had to fight quite hard to keep from being hurt, and both
> creatures have earned my respect as fighters.

Anybody who has bathed a cat knows how effective a small, fluffy
cuddly big-eyed pettable small animal can be in its own defense.
Anybody that has walked too near a nesting goose will also know just
how fearsome an opponent a gander can make (a critter whose only
"real" weapon is a rather dull beak).

Small animals can be *fast*.  Speed can make up for a lot of
inadequacies.

Yes, rats and bunny rabbits are kinda small and not quite on the
same footing as say rabid wolves, but that really is not to say that
they cannot be a worthy opponent should one really take a disliking
to you.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...