[MUD-Dev] Justifying twinking

Travis S. Casey efindel at io.com
Thu Apr 27 12:25:34 CEST 2000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Lee Sheldon wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Raph Koster wrote:

> > > Yes; although players are not stupid, and will quickly
> > realize that a rat
> > > that happens to look like an orc king is still a rat.
> >
> > Is this actually true?  Or if it is true, does it matter?
> > I'm sure that
> > most players are quite aware that the rat they are bashing is
> > not a rat
> > at all, but just a collection of bytes on a computer several thousand
> > miles away from them, and is just dressed up to look like a rat.  Why
> > should it be any different to dress it up as an orc?
>
> I disagree.  The entire point is to get the player to willingly suspend her
> disbelief to the point where she "forgets" about bytes and computers, and
> engages that foul creature in a contest of strength and courage.
>
> So it -should- matter, shouldn't it?

>From my own experience, I'd say it does matter.  Playing paper D&D, I
don't feel belittled by having my 1st-level PC beaten up by orcs, goblins,
and such.  On muds where my newbie PC is beaten up by squirrels, rats,
etc., I *do* feel belittled.

To me, it seems ridiculous -- no real squirrel or rat is likely to
inflict significant harm on a normal, healthy, awake & aware adult
human even *without* armor and weapons.  To have my PC be at significant
risk taking on a squirrel while wearing armor seems to be a declaration
that my PC is no more physically competent than a toddler.  To me, that
feels insulting.