[MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Thu Apr 27 12:15:48 CEST 2000

Richard said:
> Yes, I just had this beaten into me by the people I'm coding Yhared with...
> I unveiled my plans for a full-blown monster ecology engine, with monsters
> going out to find mates, laying eggs, the eggs hatching into hungry
> monsters...
> I was somewhat taken aback when one of the coders said "Erm, 'scuse me, but
> who's going to care?".  Then one of the area builders pointed out that it'll
> only take a minor disaster (he cited letting players into the mud) to upset
> the ecology and leave us with a dead world.  Ah well, you live and learn.
> Well, you live at any rate.

Hmmm...I wouldn't give up on ecology engines and such.  I think that it is more
the focus of a particular approach to realism that might need to be altered.
Perhaps throwing things into a game just because it is a pretty cool model of
real life isn't always the answer, but if you are looking for solutions to a
particular problem, I can think of at least two good reasons to look to nature:

1) Since you are building a virtual world, someone (or something, depending on
your particular religious disposition) may have already solved your problem in
the building of the real world.  The ecology of the real world is, in fact,
surprisingly resistant to the "minor disaster" that is man (although we continue
to test the limits of this resistance).  How does it manage to survive our
disasterous effects?  Is this something we can program into our virtual world?

2) Solutions from the real world are more likely to be intuitive to your
players, who, coincidentally enough, live in the real world.  They may also lend
a sense of veracity to your world that may help mitigate the barriers to
suspended disbelief.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissable,
			but not all things are expedient."