[MUD-Dev] Re: Selling Godhoods!?!

Kevin Scott London london at cs.utk.edu
Tue Apr 25 16:54:58 CEST 2000

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Christopher Kohnert wrote:
*SNIP*
> it).  He has said that the traditional path of becoming a god (ie chosen
> by him) is still available, which is based upon the merits of their
> mortal character(s), those being longevity, commitment, general good
> character qualities, roleplaying abilities, etc.  The only real problem
> I can see with the whole arrangement, is the 'deflation' of the godhood
> status in the eyes of mortals.  But this can be avoided with a clear
> statement, that it is not that the god bought the position, merely a fee
> they had to pay to stay one. (Such as the dues to a club one may join).

Part of the problem I see with this though is you aren't charging
membership fees for everyone then it is a breeding ground for resentment.
If there are "levels" of Gods, all it takes is the rumor that the God was
raised a level because he gave extra money.  Or people that pay to be Gods
get treated better.  Once the rumor is started through players or immortal
ranks, then it will be a difficult rumor to stop.  That is what I would be
worried about. I can see the system working (Though I still say it would
weed out some good canidates, even if you don't charge everyone), but I
can also see the whole thing blowing up in your face.
Kevin

 : Kevin London   Internet: london at cs.utk.edu
: Research Associate, Department of Computer Science
: Ayres 216      Phone: (423) 974-5790
: University of Tennessee, Knoxville