[MUD-Dev] BioWare to demonstrate Neverwinter Nights at E3

F. Randall Farmer randy at communities.com
Fri Apr 21 16:48:20 CEST 2000

Quoting from the press release at http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000420/biow=
are_de_1.html

"BioWare to demonstrate Neverwinter Nights at E3

Neverwinter Nights allows you to experience all the magic and multi-playe=
excitement of a pen-and-paper Dungeons & Dragons=AE game on your home com=
puter.
Set in the Forgotten Realms=AE campaign setting, the characters come aliv=
e with
the latest 3D graphics technology powered by NVIDIA. Neverwinter Nights i=
played using Wizards of the Coast's newly updated Third Edition Dungeons
& Dragons rules.

..."

AD&D? Yikes!

Has anyone been Alpha/Beta testing this game who's not NDA'd? The quote
above is frightening to me.

The AD&D rules have never scaled well at the upper end, in my experience
(25 -yikes- years of experience with the various flavors, though I don't
know much about Third Edition.)

People playing high-level characters were supposed to convert from
roll-playing to role-playing.

As a DM, I was always adding non-combat responsibilities to the
characters/players as they became Lords,Arch-magi,Overlords,Bishops,
Dons, etc. They loved it, but it became less and less about combat tables.
:-P It was more and more about making good choices and the repercussions.

I've found that high and low level characters don't mix well using
straight AD&D.

Perhaps some of the staff are on this list? If so, please tell me that
the above quote just marketing hype. (One can hope!)

Randy

F. Randall Farmer                "Home pages are passe', everybody's
Communities.com                  building a palace" - Time Magazine
Cofounder and VP Services        http://www.communities.com
  =20
randy at communities.com           =20