[MUD-Dev] Custom Server Roll Call?

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Thu May 13 17:29:14 CEST 1999

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Ola Fosheim [iso-8859-1] Gr=F8stad wrote:

> So, what are you custom server guys doing?  Have you been able to stick t=
> your vision, or has it changed?  I see that Ben keeps pushing ScryMUD, bu=
> what about Jon and the roleplaying supporting client, JC, Caliban, Ling,
> Yospe and all the others?  Are you "pushing" (implementing) or "butching"
> (redesigning)?
>=20
> It would be interesting to see what you are doing and where you are going=
!!
> A mud-dev custom status quo, sort of.  Please share!

Gosh, what am I doing listed amongst JC, Caliban and Yospe?!?!  I'm not
worthy!  I'm not worthy!  Seriously, I never plonked myself in their
league.  I'm an unproven game designer with a good grasp of technical
issues.

My dalliance with custom mud servers went as far as writing a very
scalable multithreaded echo server.  Then I popped on Cold and got talked
into using Cold.  Shortly after that, I lost interest, disappeared from
the list.  I came back and wrote a bare mudlib for DGD (Felix's LP
driver).  Shortly after that, I got talked into maintaining the MUD-Dev
FAQ.  Doh. :)

Currently, I'm involved in a commercial PBeM game design.  Hopefully.
It's just like a mud, just that the players shall always be 'logged on'.
I'm also moral support for DevMUD, making virtual cups of tea and waving
virtual pom poms around.

I do still have realms of thoughts, ideas, systems and designs for a mud.=
=20
If I was ever gonna put it to reality, my choice of implementation would
be DGD although I'll probably scout around and examine a few other servers
before I settle in.  The way I see it, I don't want to waste time working
on the low-level tasks like multiplexing sockets.  I wanna work on the
game, not the application!  Even a driver with a custom language like LP
is disconcerting coz it means I can't just pick out source code and
integrate it into my server.  I have to figure out the standards for
baseline JPEG and write it.=20

That's why I keep a tag on DevMUD.

However, I've found myself losing interest in muds, mainly coz it is
something I don't see myself playing in the future.  I'll be more likely
to have a fiddle with a PBeM game.

Seeing as I'm about to finish my degree in two weeks' time (anyone wanna
programmer and/or chip designer?), I might have a boogie with that echo
server I wrote. Oh, and I'll shall be catching up on list traffic.=20

_O_O_  kllo at iee.org

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu