[MUD-Dev] Custom Server Roll Call?

Thu May 13 15:32:54 CEST 1999

Jo Dillon wrote:
>   Are you telling me you're writing in raw X without using a toolkit?

You make it sound like a hideous crime :)  Yeah, at least in 97-98 I was.
Toolkits don't offer much and not really what I needed.  Although there are
some free portable game-toolkits out now.

> And what do you mean by core mechanics?

xshm, pixelconversion, sprites, imposed text, input and stuff. Under X, you
really don't know what is fast and what is slow. I was very disappointed
with bitmasked blitting for instance. Completely useless, which is very sad,
because then I am limited to doing rectangular blits.

OpenGL has some of the same undefined speed problems, but it is tempting to
go for gl now that hardware acceleration make it into the chipsets and all.

--
Ola

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu