[MUD-Dev] Playing the monsters

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri Jun 11 17:09:14 CEST 1999

On 03:02 PM 6/11/99 -0400, I personally witnessed David95037 at aol.com
jumping up to say:

>It seems that there is general consensus that fighting other players is
>more fun then fighting the automata monsters.  So why not let players
>of the MUD drop into the role of a random monster and be the brains
>behind it for some other player to fight.

I have a thought related to this, but I've never implemented it.

Why not have a MUD where you *are* the monsters? Whenever you get killed by
something, you switch places with what killed you. That way, you can move
up, but you don't want to move down. While the PK situation would be
rampant, you would avoid the major problem I have with unrestricted PK: the
big boys mess with the little guys. When you're up higher in levels and
someone comes up and beats on you -- well, heck, you can't KILL him. Then
he'd be the big guy and you'd be the wimp.

In a reasonably short period of time, you would be unable to tell who was
what. Is it a mob, or is it a player? Who can tell?

Well, okay, when you attack the big nasty monster and it runs, it's
probably a player. ;)

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu