[MUD-Dev] memory and speed

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Fri Jun 11 09:17:56 CEST 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Mihaly <diablo at best.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Thursday, 10 June, 1999 19:15
Subject: [MUD-Dev] memory and speed

>We tripled our memory today, from 128 megs to 384 megs, but we seem to
>actually have slowed down. In fact, adding more memory has definitely
>slowed us down. Some tasks are taking nearly twice as long as before. This
>is extremely upsetting, to say the least. Anyone have any ideas?
>
>--matt

Yes, seen this one on another machine and it was infuriating and difficult
to diagnose.  The answer turned out to be that our motherboard didn't have
sufficient cache to handle above 256M of memory and the memory above it was
about 4x slower.  This didn't affect people in windows immediately since
windows uses memory from low to high, but in linux it affected the system
immediately.

If you are using an intel based system, and linux this could be your
problem.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu