[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Tue Jun 8 03:55:50 CEST 1999

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> Matt's not dismissing every idea on its face. He's dismissing all of the
> people like me who go "your combat system sucks". And he should. It's

Well, now, I've made a lot of the noise in this thread, and let me jump
in here that I don't think his system sucks, I just disagree with his
approaches to certain elements of it, and to his approach to this list
and the people in it.

> open to. But just because my mind's made up on certain issues -- like
> whether to announce it when a player's ship moves into your sector, which
> I've decided not to because it has huge spam potential -- doesn't mean

Really? I've kinda taken approaching ships as a given, although I've
decided to leave out the whole "sector" concept in TW:TNE 0.09 and up.

> Sure, you can come up and say "Why not allow people to eat the leaves off
> trees?" and the developers might think it's a great idea and implement it,
> but the natural extension "Why not allow people to eat the bricks off
> walls?" is probably pretty stupid. Yeah, it's an extreme example, but a
> tree has leaves at the top and a wall has bricks at the top, so can't you
> eat the top parts of things? You can eat the top parts of *some* things,
> but not of others. If you don't understand why... well, you just don't get
> it, you know? ;)

On the other hand, "We tried it and found it didn't work" or "we don't
think it's logically consistent" is much better than "Lots of people
disagree with us, so it must always be because they don't have a clue."
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
President Clinton was acquitted; then again, so was O. J. Simpson.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu