[MUD-Dev] realism

Martin C Sweitzer msew+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 7 17:30:26 CEST 1999

Excerpts from mud-dev: 7-Jun-99 Re: [MUD-Dev] realism by Jp
Calderone at flashmail.c
> > A few people have mentioned 'realism' as if MUDs need to be a simulation
> > of some artificial reality, complete with consistency, etc. I would argue
> > that this is not only necessary, but that it is impossible.
> > <snip>
>
> Some mornings, after many hours of coding, usually around 5-5:30, right
> when the sun is begining to come up, I'll pull out my bike and go for
> a short ride.  Helps clear the head and forces me to come back and go to
> sleep finally.  Anyway, when I see the sun rise (unfortunately over the
> golf course, can't be helped), I think, "There is no way I can ever
> simulate that."  Ands thats it.  I resign myself to that fact and go
> home.

Hrmm.  If you have played Everquest the first time it rains.  the first
time you hear the thunder.  the first time you come out of a cave and it
is dawn and you see the sun rising.  You just sit in your room and go
WOW.

I think as soon as you give up the hope of trying to make something
realistic, something that our years growing up reinforces you are going
to miss out on something.

I think striving for making people FEEL that it is dawn on your mud is
something vital to make your game whole.

I think that most people get de-sensitized to these things over time.
But that first time feeling that people get is so worth it.

For me when I go for my equiv of a "bike-ride" I just get sad and
inbittered that I can't make the sun rise as beautiful.  I go home drink
some mt dew shut the shades and code up something with that inspired
energy.

msew

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu